Forces Of Valor – 1:700 Diecast – German Battleship Tirpitz – Norway, 1943
Tirpitz was the second of two Bismarck-class battleships built for the German Kriegsmarine (War Navy) during WW II. Named after Grand Admiral Alfred von Tirpitz, the architect of the Kaiserliche Marine (Imperial Navy). Like her sister ship Bismarck, Tirpitz was armed with a main battery of eight 38-centimeter (15 in) guns in four twin turrets. After a series of wartime modifications, she was 2,000 metric tons (2,000 long tons; 2,200 short tons) heavier than Bismarck.
Tirpitz briefly served as the centerpiece of the Baltic Fleet, which was intended to prevent a possible break-out attempt by the Soviet Baltic Fleet. In early 1942, the ship sailed to Norway to act as a deterrent against an Allied invasion. While stationed in Norway, Tirpitz was also intended to be used to intercept Allied convoys to the Soviet Union, and two such missions were attempted in 1942. Tirpitz acted as a fleet in being, forcing the British Royal Navy to retain significant naval forces in the area to contain the battleship.
In September 1943, Tirpitz bombarded Allied positions on the island of Spitzbergen, the only time the ship used her main battery in anger. Shortly thereafter, the ship was damaged in an attack by British mini-submarines and subsequently subjected to a series of large-scale air raids. On 12 November 1944, British Lancaster bombers destroyed the ship.
Forces of Valor ® Tirpitz is constructed of die cast metal and plastic, with metal used for the lower portion of the hull and plastic for the upper portion. The conning tower and guns are recreated in plastic, providing the highest possible level of detail. The rotating turrets feature elevating cannons. The superstructure details include movable cranes, hand painted lifeboats, antennas and mast.
Die cast metal and plastic construction.
– Lower hull is metal.
– Turrets rotate.
– Guns elevate.
– Comes with a display stand.
Product Id: 86008